Sunday, March 17, 2013

Weekend Adventures

Most weekends, after being up on my feet teaching all week (seriously, has anyone worn a pedometer while teaching? It must be amazing how many steps we take...), I tend to stay inside, being a couch potato. Sometimes, it's justifiable. I'm exhausted--I sleep 12 hours a night on the weekends. I might be sick, so obviously, couch + snacks + juice is a perfect remedy. But a lot of times, I just really do not want to get up. 

This weekend, the living on the couch was definitely earned, but I tried to include some new things in my free time as well. 

Accomplishment #1: Peanut Butter Oatmeal
The Boy decided to make me breakfast on Saturday and said he could try something with peanut butter and oatmeal. Well, I love peanut butter anything, so he tried it out. The first time he mixed in the peanut butter and we tasted it...it was okay. But eventually, after a couple tries, we've come up with the perfect recipe for peanut butter oatmeal for two.



Materials:
1 cup Quaker Oats 
1 3/4 cup water
1 HEAPING tbsp of peanut butter
3 tbsp of sugar

1. Boil your water.
2. Stir in oats--let boil for 1 minute.
3. Stir in peanut butter.
4. Stir in sugar.
5. Let sit to cool.
6. ENJOY!!!!

Accomplishment #2: Pinterest Crazy Teacher Toolbox

I kept seeing it all over Pinterest and being extremely jealous of the crafty teachers out there with their beautiful teacher toolboxes. So I went on a hunt one night to find it. Kindergarten Smiles has this beautiful toolbox posting and basically, I followed exactly what she said.

The Boy and I went to Lowes and, after a nice long search, found the toolbox. It is definitely a lot smaller than I imagined. The exact toolbox has 22 drawers in it--they're called Stack On Drawers. But we brought it home, printed off the labels from Teachers Pay Teachers (TPT) on colorful cardstock, and glued a bit of ribbon at the top of each label. (Shout Out to The Boy who did the hot glue gunning himself--he's very proud!)

Those labels are FREE and customizable. Just download the font and it'll turn out just fine. We had to cut a tiny bit off the side of each one to make it fit in the front. We taped it in on the sides to keep the labels there. 

I haven't decided what color to spray paint the box yet, but later on in the spring, I'm thinking I'll paint it a nice pink color. I'd like to have my teacher friends sign the sides of it so when we leave at the end of the year, I'll have some memories to take with me. 

My only problem is that the yellow pencils my kids use do NOT fit in the drawer--a little too small for them. But my sharpie collection JUST makes it and I think it's super cute. I might keep this one for home and make one for school later on. It's very organized and now that I know how to do it, why not? In total, the price was about $20.00. 

All in all, it's been a very productive weekend. New recipes, lots of British TV shows, crafting, and lesson planning. With hot glue gun in hand, I feel like I can conquer the teacher craft world. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment