Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bringing Monsters to Life

Yesterday I got a fantastic surprise! The Boy showed up exactly as school let out, just after a huge graduate school interview. He'd hinted at coming, but at that time I had entirely forgotten about it. So there he was at the front door and my teacher friend says to me, "Look!".

(You must understand, The Boy lives SIX hours from where I work.)

That wasn't my only surprise. After frozen yogurt, he gave me an early birthday gift: a hot glue gun. I've been wanting one for a while, because all those cool Pinterest crafts seem to need one. So, of course, the first thing we did was make Greater Than and Less Than monsters.

One of the first grade common core objectives involves my students solving problems like:
1) 64 < 92
2) 86 = 86
3) 72 > 45

I saw these cute alligators on Pinterest to help kids remember to chomp the bigger number and I figured, I'd try it out. So here is our product... four little monsters for a math center. Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment